Tuesday, September 11, 2007

International Opinions of U.S. Media

I interviewed international student Sakshi from Delhi, India. When asked if the United States media was different from India’s media, Sakshi responded saying, “No not really, we have the news over in India, the only thing that is different in the United States is that the media is independent from the government.” I questioned her on that response and asked her to elaborate more on her answer. She instructed me that India has both government owned news channels and private owned news channels. As you can guess the private owned news channels are independent from the government. She also informed me that India’s media is very strong, just like the United States. In fact the first thing she noticed about the United States media is that it is very effective and very easy to reach. But having the United States media easy to reach isn’t always a good thing. Through the eyes of Sakshi and other international students, Americans take advantage of the United States media. I believe this to be true because I too take advantage of the media that surrounds me because I know I can get the media whenever I wish just by pushing a few buttons or hitting a few keys. By the end of the interview Sakshi wanted to make an important note on the many stereotypes the United States has. She wanted to let the American public know that the way Indian’s are associated with the dot on their foreheads is not a correct image of the India’s general public and she doesn’t not like the way Russian’s are associated with drinking and vodka. She says, “It is the duty of the media to take care of the stereotypes.” I really learned a lot about Sakshi’s country and their media but what surprised me the most was Sakshi’s last statement. I’ve always heard stereotypes of all races but never thought about them much but now I see that it hurts and the media really should take care of the stereotypes.

4 comments:

Kristen G said...

Wow! I didn't even realize how much the media does stereotype. I guess most Americans are just used to it and it doesn't click when there are sterotypes because there are so many.

AlanC com130 said...

Our media does stereotype pretty bad, but I believe if other countries had free speed and weren't controlled by the government, they would be the same way. Most of what we see from other countries is usually the bad things for example when you see someone burning and American flag, That is all we have to go by, so that is why i think we stereotype in media. We just don't have enough coverage of other countries to see the good things.

Megan said...

That's awesome to know that in a place like India they have alot of free speech and a way of accessing information and media.

David H. said...

It's interesting how the government in India controls a lot of the media. It would be so different if the United States did that too!